"The only thing better than singing is more singing."
Ella Fitzgerald

 

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Her time has come



What a 'prophetic' album title.

As much as I want to say for sure, 'YES! Her time has really come', if she really thinks this will be the album that will make her queen this year, then I think she's being a bit presumptuous.

It's not that the album is not good. It's just...a little disappointing. More like, disappointingly SHORT! It's been almost 10 months since her previous album and like her legions of fans, I've been anticipating this new release. And finally, it's out. But. Yes, but! C'mon...an entire album with a playing time of about 37 minutes? What the...?!

Sure, there are 10 tracks. But two of those are instrumental and another 2 are mandarin covers of her original songs. So, that leaves only 6 original pieces. Out of those 6, one was plugged at the end of last year, two were plugged a few months ago. Which leaves only three songs to 'surprise' us. Three songs. This isn't a full album. This is like an EP! How can one not be disappointed?

I guess she makes up for it in her songs though. Thank goodness for that.

Yes, I like the album (then again, I'm bias towards her.) Her title track actually reminds a bit of Madonna's latest 'disco' hit with the ABBA mix, and track 4 curiously reminds me of Anita Mui. Then of course there's the 'Brokeback' related track. There's really no point listing out my favourite tracks here 'cos I'll just list every single one out. Though for me, the one track that really captured me is track 4.

But I can't help feel that it's not enough (when is it ever enough?) It's like feeding a really hungry person just one piece of biscuit. I'm still hungry. We're still hungry.

C, oh C, when will you satisfy our hunger with an actual FULL album of TEN original tracks (no instrumentals, no mandarin covers!) Six songs is not going to relieve us of our withdrawals for long.